Friday, August 28, 2009

Time flies and Smokey is still having fun !!


Smokey Robinson is in the business for decades. I still remember those Sundays afternoons when my father used to play his vinyl of "Smokey Robinson & The miracles». When I listened to Smokey Robinson today I remembered immediately why I enjoyed it so much.

With his new album " Time flies when you're having fun" Smokey Robinson proves us that time never spoil real talent. With guests such as Joss Stone, India Arie or Santana, he is providing us a record just like only him can make with a contemporary touch and of course great lyrics ( it's not like we didn't know his writing skills since he wrote ones of the greatest songs ever ) , nice groove and smooth .

Romantic and smooth R&B is so lacking in today's music and Smokey is back to fix it. But he's not limited to ballads; Robinson shows us also how funky he can be on "Girlfriend," a mid-tempo ode to his love or "One Time". With "Please Don't Take Your Love," Legend Carlos Santana brings a bluesy touch where Robinson shows what singing is really about and sings in different languages. His cover of the Jackson 5 classic, "I Want You Back" is so far one of my favorite with his duet with India Arie " You're just my life». And his interpretation of "Don't Know Why", the first single of the album, can easily outshine Norah Jones. 50 years after his debuts Smokey Robinson is still having fun making music and I'm still having fun listening to it!!

Listen here to the full album "Time flies when you're having fun" ( The "I want you back" cover is the last one )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Soul Food....All you need is Soul - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords